Thursday, April 29, 2010

There Ain't No Cure for the Summer Time Blues

So I fail epically as a blogger. My last post was in January. January. It is now the end of April. Since January I have survived Snowmagetton, journeyed to Belfast and back, and wrote approximatly 100 pages for various classes. But you would know none of this from reading my blog. In the words of one of my room mates: that's crap.

Today I finished my last final for the Spring 2010 semester. It was for an astronomy course. And it was a cumulative multiple choice exam. For an English major, cumulative usually means writing about the novel as a whole versus focusing on a specific passage. Prior to this exam, I had not taken a multiple choice final since freshman year. I find it difficult to trust the validity of a test where the answers are always A-E.. But that's all done. My classes broadened my horizons. Living on my own gave me a better understanding of who I am as a person, etc. Now I have to wrap my mind around a new concept: summer.

Of the four seasons, summer is my least favorite. I'm not a big fan of free time, ackward family gatherings, or "fun" summer jobs. See, I still don't know what I want to do with my life after college. Envisioning the entire summer stretched out in front of my like the gulf of Mexico is not helping my anxiety. I really want to know what Mom tells people who ask her what I am going to do for a living. She seems to know better than I do at the moment.

I should be spending the summer studying for the GRE's, teaching Hatian orphans English, and learning how to read French. All while making enough money to pay for rent, groceries, and internet access next year. It would probably also be helpful if I made a list of my top ten graduate school programs and compiled an excel document to cross reference admissions requirements. Instead I am going to be scanning medical records for 25 hours a week and listening to Pandora internet radio until I can no longer stand to listen to Bruce Springsteen.

Hopefully tomorrow's post will be more cheerful. The end of the semester always puts me in a foul mood.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. DePoe, I have run or started nine blogs in my life time. Only four of them have lasted more than a few posts, and even those went months (or years) without any posts. Do not feel bad, especially considering how busy you've been.

    PS: On the other hand, I blog about things that do not pertain to my mediocre, boring life.

    ReplyDelete